Good Day everyone! For today’s recipe, I am going to teach you how to make gluten free dhokla!
Dhokla is an Indian dish that originates from Gujarat. It is a healthy dish that is high in protein, fibre and iron. It can be eaten in breakfast, lunch or snack, and is easy to make.
For Dhokla batter:
I cup besan (Gram flour)
Pinch of turmeric
4 tb spoons of lemon juice
1 ½ tb spoons of sugar
¼ tsp of salt
1 ½ tsp of fruit salt
1 cup of water
1 tsp of oil for greasing
For Tarka (seasoning):
2 tb spoon of oil
2 tsp of mustard seeds
Finely chopped coriander to garnish
- In a steamer add 3 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- In a large pan mix besan, turmeric, 3 tb spoons of lemon juice, ½ tb spoons of sugar and salt. Mix it well.
- Add ¾ cup of water and make a smooth batter.
- Add fruit salt and mix it only until fruit salt is mixed properly. Don’t over mix it or batter will get spoiled.
- Pour the batter immediately in a greased cake pan and put the pan in steamer.
- Steam the batter for 15-18 minutes. Check with knife if Dholka is ready, if knife comes out clean it means it is ready.
- Take out the cake pan and put it aside to cool down. Once it cools down cut it into small pieces and prepare tarka.
For preparing tarka:
- Put oil in a small pan.
- When oil is hot add mustard seeds.
- When seeds start popping add green chilies and take it off the stove.
- Add remaining ¼ water and bring it to boil. Take off the stove.
- Add lemon juice and pour the mixture on Dhokla. This will keep the dhokla moist.
Serve Dhokla with green Chutney.
*Dhokla can stay in the fridge for 2-3 days*
Hope you all enjoyed this simple and easy recipe! If you have any questions or comments, please leave them in the comments section below.
Eat healthy and be happy!