Phirni is a delicious dessert made with rice and milk. This dessert is usually enjoyed during festivals like Diwali, Holi and Karva Chauth.
2 litres full milk
½ cup of good quality basmati rice
1 ½ cups sugar
¼ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup raisins
8 strands of saffron
½ tsp of green cardamom powder
1 tsp slivered almonds
8-10 chopped pistachios
5-6 strands of saffron
- Wash rice thoroughly and soak them in little water for ½ an hour.
- After ½ an hour drain rice and grind them to a very fine or little coarse consistency (your preference) and keep it aside.
- Boil milk in a heavy base pot. Simmer down the stove to medium and keep stirring it for ½ an hour to reduce the milk quantity.
- In a small bowl, add 8 strands of saffron and 2 tb spoons of boiled milk and stir. Keep it aside.
- Add the ground rice to boiling milk and keep stirring to avoid lumps. In this step you cannot leave the milk unattended, keep stirring until it thickens and rice are cooked, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, raisins and saffron (kept aside in milk). Stir well and mix everything for 3-4 minutes or until sugar dissolves.
- Phirni is ready, take it off the flame.
- Pour phirni in a bowl and garnish with almonds, chopped pistachios and saffron strands.
- Keep it in fridge covered for 3-4 hours and serve it cold.
Please give this recipe a try and please leave your comments and questions below.
Eat healthy and be happy!